Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Artist in Residence, part 1









This past June, I was a volunteer at Hubbell Trading Post National Historic Site, in Ganado, AZ.  The last time I had been there was before our son was born, so I was looking forward to a trip to the Four Corners Area.

After a 3 1/2 day solo drive, I finally arrived!  Photos of the trading post and my temporary home follow.

The trading post is the oldest continually operating trading post in the Navajo Nation.  This is a really great slide show, which is nice because I didn't take any photos inside the house. They had very low lighting for preservation purposes.  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=2627510576353&set=vb.118427051578812&type=2&theater

 Here's where I lived for 2 weeks.  It's a stone hogan, built as a memorial to John Hubbell after he passed away in 1930.  It was started in '34, and was completed years later.
 
  Hand carved door by Dorothy Hubbell.
                                                                 living room/bedroom
 
Carved into the sandstone!  I realize that it says Don Lorenzo Hubbell.  His given name is John, but everyone called him Don, a Spanish title.
  The magnificent petrified wood fireplace which I forgot to photograph because I was so stunned by the Anasazi artifacts in the upper portion.  For those of you who don't know me, in my earlier years, I was a BLM ranger in southern Utah, and part of my job was to catch pothunters!   This is a grinding bowl.
                                      Part of a ladle, Kayenta Anasazi, about 8-900 years old.
                                                     a large metate with mano above it.
                                      Kayenta Anasazi bowl with a hammerstone above it.
                          Many nichos decorate the walls.  See the dried devil's claws?  Basketry plants!

 
                                                                 2nd rug on the floor.
                                                                  cute little kitchen
                                                             rug on the kitchen floor!


                                        Part of the carved doorway design (in sandstone).
                                                                         barbecue area
                                                                          shady place
                                    Wagon wheel lights at dusk, looking at Hubbell Hill. 

No comments:

Post a Comment