Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Into a new realm

I usually don't make art w/ a message.  It's not easy to put words or pictures on a basket, and make it be meaningful.  It can be done.  There are several basketweavers who do a great job at it.  One of them is Shan Goshorn. https://indiancountrymedianetwork.com/culture/arts-entertainment/an-activists-baskets-the-unique-art-of-shan-goshorn-16-photos/ Look at her work, if you are heading that way artistically.

In the past, I've done this a few times, by writing on my sticks, or on the paper that I spin and weave.  But lately, I was more motivated. I've been thinking about this woven piece for several years, trying to come up with a visual representation of my reaction to the horrific school shootings in the U.S.  Then, when the shootings at Marjoriy Stoneman Douglas High School occurred, I figured it out.

In ancient Aztec, Japanese, some Native American cultures, knotting on strings was a form of numerical bookkeeping.  They each had a systematic way of tying knots, or by color, or spacing to signify certain numbers.  So I have adapted this visual counting method to show the ages of the victims. 

My initial plan was to have the strings with no names, but then I realized that I needed to honor each victim by identifying their individual names and ages.

So here is Parkland Memorial. It's about 21" across.  The weaving is paper yarn and other yarns. It will be hanging at Maude Kerns Art Center in Eugene, OR. May 25th until June 22nd.  Sadly, next week is the twentieth anniversary of the shootings at Thurston High School in nearby Springfield.  20 years later, and our children are still not safe in school. 


Please come and see us at the Opening Reception on the 25th, or our Demo on June 16th.  We'd love to see you!

No comments:

Post a Comment