Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Bamboo basketry in Portland

On Sun., I was able to meet bamboo basketweaver Stephen Jensen. I found Stephen's blog several years ago, https://www.blogger.com/profile/04555206656364430174 and was so happy to hear that he has since moved to Portland.

Here is Stephen's blog intro:  After graduating in 2006 from Middlebury College with a double major in Japanese and studio art, I moved to Japan to work for the Oita prefectural government as a Coordinator for International Relations. After two years, I left the CIR position to make more of my painting activities, and came in contact with bamboo crafts through a temporary interpreting job. Hoping to learn a traditional art and utilize my time in Japan, I applied to the Oita Prefectural Bamboo Craft Training School and passed the test to become a trainee for the 2009-10 school year. In the coming year I look forward to acquiring the basic skills of bamboo basketry and seeing how this experience will evolve into a future lifestyle or career.

Made from local bamboo, uncured
I am hoping that he will be able to teach some bamboo basketry workshops for our guild.  In the meantime, here are some of his baskets to admire.


also local bamboo






Aren't they fantastic? 

No comments:

Post a Comment